Questions About Burning in South Pacific County?

This post was written by cbiggs on April 24, 2012
Posted Under: Burn Info,Press Releases

Can I have a campfire on my property?   Yes. Campfires are legal in all areas of the Peninsula, and do not need a permit. Campfires must be made of dry, seasoned firewood, and kept to 3 feet in diameter.

Can I burn brush and other yard debris?   Yes. Permits of this type are free and may be found here. (Also available at Jacks Country Store, Pioneer Market, Surfside Homeowners Association, Seaview Texaco, Peninsula Sanitation, and Pacific County Fire District #1 Stations in Ocean Park and Seaview.)

What am I allowed to burn?   The Residential Outdoor Burning Permit allows a 4’ X 4’ burn pile, made of natural vegetation. It may  not contain any garbage, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber products, plastics, paper, cardboard, treated wood, construction or demolition debris, metal or any substance which releases toxic emissions, dense smoke, or odors. (WAC 173-425-040)

 Can I use a burn barrel to burn other materials?   No. Burn barrels are illegal in Washington. (WAC 173-425-050)

What if I want to burn a larger pile?   Permits are available, for a fee, for piles up to 20 feet in diameter. These larger burn piles must be inspected by firefighters before a permit is issued. For more information, call the District Office at (360) 665-4451.

Where am I allowed to burn yard debris?   Burning is allowed north of Cranberry Road and in those areas not included in the Urban Growth Area. (See maps) In 2007, Washington State Legislature enacted laws that restrict both  residential yard-waste burning and land-clearing burning in all Urban Growth Areas within the state.

What should I do if someone is burning illegally?   Educate them! Talk to your neighbors about your concerns. If they continue burning, call us at 665-4451 to come out and assess the situation. If you think the fire is dangerous, or if smoke is causing a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.

Comments are closed.

Next Post: